For these cookies I was inspired by a margarita. I wanted to translate all the components of an actual margarita into cookie form, salty rim and all! Thus, came about a lime sugar cookie with a hint of lemon that is topped with a tequila glaze and a light sprinkling of salt! And that's just what these cookies are.
Happy Cinco de Mayo! If you're heading out to any parties, you may want to check out these dos and don'ts! Haha!
Salted Margarita Cookies with Tequila Glaze
1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups sugar
2 Tablespoons lime zest
1 Tablespoon lemon zest
1 large egg
3 Tablespoons lime juice
½ teaspoon lemon extract
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons tequila
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
2. In the bowl of stand mixer cream together butter, sugar, lime zest and lemon zest, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in egg, and then add in lime juice and lemon extract.
3. On low speed, beat in flour, baking powder and salt, until just combined.
4. Using a small cookie dough scoop, scoop dough and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 -12 minutes, until just beginning to brown on the bottom. Cool cookies on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
5. Once cookies have cooled completely, prepare glaze by whisking together tequila, lime juice and powdered sugar. Drizzle glaze over cookies, and finish with a light sprinkling of salt. Yields approximately 48 small cookies.